Getting your sexy back after kids
Having a baby changes everything! What about me?
What an amazing time in your life? Having a baby is one of the most amazing milestones in your lifetime but after the baby comes out and you're exhausted, with milk overflowing everywhere, pads the size of Texas, and a soft belly with extra skin. Swollen and a little extra storage for a baby who no longer needs a womb. A soft shell of what used to hold to hold the light of your life. You're left in pieces of the woman you used to be as you adjust to what it means to be a new person called mommy.
“A real mom: emotional, yet the rock. Tired but keeps going. Worried, but full of hope. Impatient, yet patient. Overwhelmed but never quits. Amazing, even though doubted. Wonderful, even in the chaos. Life changer, every single day ” -Rachel Martin
Having a baby is an empowering experience! You have grown a human, used your own body to create another and it's a magical process and one only designed by our amazing creator. If you just had a baby these tips were made just for you!
5 ways to get yourself out of the just became a mother slump and get your confidence back
1. Accept help! I know you want to do everything yourself! The answer is always YES! Yes you can bring me dinner. Yes I need help with the baby. Yes I need a shower and a coffee. Yes you can wash my clothes! You can't be everywhere at once and having a baby is a whole new ball game. Accepting help will give you time to recover and focus on your personal health which in turn will make you feel more confident in your new still changing body.
2. Sleep when the baby sleeps! I know, I know so overused but it's so so true! No one wants a grouchy sleep deprived woman in their lives! The laundry can wait! The dishes can wait! Get your husband, mom or even your neighbor to come over and give you a break and much needed zzzz's
3. Shower daily and get dressed. This can be so comfy with a pair of sweats and a bun. Nothing fancy but a shower is so relaxing after a hard day of work and rejuvenating to your soul. You need this moment for yourself and you deserve it.
4. Set small goals! Whether that's old school pen and paper or on your phone. You're on maternity leave and you have all this "extra time". Take this time to reflect on your goals and vision. Make small attainable steps towards your goals. Today maybe a walk to the mailbox. Maybe tomorrow a walk around the block. Getting back to your normal routines will help you identify ways you can make adjustments to having a new babe. Setting small goals helps you feel accomplished and feed your inner strength.
5. Be patient. I know you expected to just pop that baby out and go back to your pre-pregnancy weight and shape but this phase in your life is about being PRESENT. The chaos is the magic. The new found discovery of motherhood has it's changes and ups and downs. Don't be afraid to get help if you can't get out of your slump! Sometimes it's meds, or yoga, or a long drive to yourself. Make yourself a priority and in time you'll find the path that's right for you! Don't be afraid to work smarter and not harder! Order in food, hire a house cleaning lady or put this on your registry! I would much rather have a clean house then 10 thousand swaddling blankets because to me that's less stress which helps me feel confident in myself, but you have to do what works for you! Not what PINTEREST, FB or your mother in law says. Be there for yourself. Honest with yourself. Give yourself grace. It's not an option, it's a necessity and you deserve to be the best you can be for yourself and for your new babe. If momma's not happy no one's happy! You are the hub of your wheel and you can turn that wheel whichever way you want. Choose joy, choose to be present in the crazy, choose to embrace yourself in your present moment because you are an amazing person and the world is better with you in it even if you have to leave little notes all over your house telling you so!
What are some things that really helped you get out of your after baby slump?